Monday, March 9, 2009

Getting in the Dirt





This Saturday we were able to get outside and enjoy the warm weather. We have been making plans to build raised vegetable beds this spring in hopes of increasing of chances of a better harvest than years past. So with a trip to Menard's and a load of lumber in the Civic we were on our way to green pastures. Typically Brady and I don't work well together on home projects-but once we got the first one built the other two were a piece of cake. Speaking of loads-the winter was good to Rodi and Brady spent a good part of the afternoon scooping poo. He even had to bring out the snow shovel to get a good beat on it! The other picture is what I hope is the future home of three laying hens. As long as the midwife gives me the OK tomorrow I'll be on my way to being a chicken mama too.

3 comments:

megs92 said...

Angi, I LOVE the beds! They look beautiful! I can't wait to see them in person. You've inspired me to step up my garden planning.

The hen news is pretty exciting too. I have always wanted chickens, but didn't think you were allowed to if you have neighbors. Luckily Indiana must be more progressive on that front :-) Enjoy!
~Megan

Team RyKy said...

I've been meaning to write, or call, or email! Congrats to the two of you on the exciting news. You must be feeling pretty good considering you are constructing beds! Please give me a call when you get the chance and catch up!

Alison said...

Chickens, huh? Now Rodi's going to have share space with a baby and chickens! Lots of changes around the Hansel household. I'm sure she'll do just fine. :-)